Monday, July 18, 2011

(For Friday 7/16) Apollo 13 - 1995

One of my all-time favorite movies. Seriously.

Tom Hanks is probably right up there with my list of favorite actors. I have watched so many things by him over the past year...and this is just the icing on the cake.

Jim Lovell is an astronaut slated to go to the moon. The trip begins jinxed from the start - a sick partner, a wife who wants to skip the launch because of the "13" unlucky number, a family all distracted and a world that has already lost "space madness" after getting there with Neil Armstrong a little while before this mission. Add to that a burst coil deep in the tanks of the ship causing this mission to go horribly wrong.

I saw this in 1995 in the theater with my best friend Jana. We were so enamored with space afterwards that we took a telescope out and started trying to watch every movie we could about this mission. We had NO.IDEA. this happened and SOMEWHERE I even have the full-life-size cutout of the guys in the movie...yeah...when I go all-out-fan, I get a little spooky. ANYWAY, for quality of acting and realistic you-feel-like-you're-in-the-moment-ness, this movie hits it out of the park. Maybe even out of this world... ;)

The IMDB Link

No comments:

Post a Comment