Monday, July 18, 2011

(For Saturday 7/17) Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 - 2011

I watched the first one ALMOST a year ago and I was hoping I could watch this one before the blog ended. I *just* made the deadline. With this final installment, I managed to watch every movie this year - which isn't to say that I wouldn't have managed to do that anyway even WITHOUT the blog in place. In fact, I can assure everyone that the Potter flicks are pretty much required watching to live in our house.

This one ended with Harry finally realizing his crux - his horcruxe,that is. He needs to die in order for Voldemort to die. What he doesn't take into account - and what everyone else neglects to remember - is that with the resurrection stone, he can come back to life. PHEW. Mischief Managed...I mean...problem solved.

The thing is, I always remember Harry Lives...when I talked over the years with friends about the last book, they were always like "Harry DIES Stephanie" and I would say "No, duh, Harry LIVES." because all I could remember was the prologue...where everything is a nicely tied-in-a-bow HAPPY ENDING. Life, unfortunately, doesn't have a lot of happy endings. I don't know which would have been a more powerful way to end this movie. The way it DID end or the way it probably should have ended.

The movie was, at first, a little slow if I am being honest. I was expecting more...but I trust that they were easing us into the end. I wished I had brought more tissues for the the film but I was thankful to be distracted by Ginny Weasley's "First Lady Helmet Hair" at the end of the movie because it gave me a chance to get rid of the evidence of the tears.

I am SO SAD that the Harry Potter franchise is done. That said, an Orange Julius at the mall with my incredible daughter pretty much took care of my sadness. I could also sit here and complain that the book wasn't much like the movie and they should have done a THIRD final movie if they were being REALLY honest with themselves and DANG Snape seemed even better in the movie than in the book. But I won't.

The IMDB Link

No comments:

Post a Comment